Friday, June 19, 2009

Biters:


Rachael got bit again on Wednesday. I couldn't believe it. And just when I had made the post about progress. If she was progressing, I regressed when I heard she was bit again. And by the same boy Devin (atleast by her account). It was the longest day and night I had in a long time. Guilt, Fear and helplessness intermingled. I had just read a post on another website on a discussion between SAHM, WAHM and working outside the home moms and apparently the poster thought that no one had it harder. Honestly come on. I do believe all have it harder, but atleast SAHMs & WAHMs know their children aren't being bitten, they don't have to deal with wondering if they're doing the best they can in terms of child care. We picked Bright Horizons Green Tree because it was the best daycare we could find. We heard very good reports about it and Rachael did have good care givers as an infant and then a toddler. But after 6 months at home she was having a hard time adjusting to daycare, sharing, and mingling again. And then she got bit the first time. And then again. I just didn't know what to do. It ended up in frustation at the teacher for not watching the biters more, frustation with myself for not knowing how to resolve it and frustation that while I wanted Rachael to fight back I didn't really want her to start hitting. All I was left with was being able to teach my daughter how to shout really loudly "GO AWAY DEVIN " or "BAD BOY DEVIN" if he came to bit or hurt her. That's not much. And ofcourse Tom took it badly too. We spent the entire night going through nanny postings. I can't remember if I've posted my own personal misgivings about nannies. They work for some family very well, but I have to many head issues with nannies. And yet here I was freaking out and looking through nanny postings. The good news was that we found atleast 4 that we liked the sound off. So I made the appointments for the interviews. And then Rachael had a good day at daycare. Do you know how hard it to make a change that you really don't want to make when someone has a hard day. I called her teacher and she said Rachael stood up duing sing song and sang baa baa black sheep all by herself. They were helping the children sing songs by themselves and there my little girl was singing too. How then could I take her out from day care when she was obviously teaching herself to be strong and brave and make the effort. So we've decided to give it some more time. I've googled the hell out of biters and bitees. And my brain acknowledges that it may be a developmental issue, but my heart still wants all biters to be locked down far away from my little princess. I know I can't protect her forever, but 2 seems too young to defend herself. Jude's suggestion - find a judo class.. which I actually will try and do. So far now, come Monday Rachael & Lawrence will make their way to school. I'm hoping to talk to Rachael this weekend about how she needs to protect her baby brother and herself. Maybe the big sister protective streak will kick in.

No comments:

Blog Archive