Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Change in career path.

I'm considering a change in my career. It seems the ideal time to do it. the company I work with announced lay offs at the beginning of the year, and we know there will be layoffs again at the end of this year. I wasn't in the first round and for that I was grateful. I don't know if I will be in the second. If I did get laid off it seems like it would be a good time for a career change. I don't think I want to be an oracle dba any more. It's good money. Hell it's really good money and I'm relatively good at it. But there's no passion any more. And I want to spend more time with my family. Tom's got a good job now and good benefits. The downside is that he works the afternoon shift. We're hoping that he does really well and gets lots of promotions and makes lots of money..lol.. I'm not entirely sure I want the career change. I know I want it because I'm tired of doing oracle. I don't find it fasinating or interesting like the other dbas and I don't really have a desire to learn more of it. But I'm not sure what exactly I would like to change careers into. Lately there seems to be a fasciantion with being a teacher. Not so much the fasination of teaching because I have no clue what I would teach, but more the fasination with the summers off to spend time with my 2 monkeys. They will have entire summers off for a few years and it would be wonderful to spend it with them instead of the measly 3 weeks I get. On the other hand I don't know what the pay is, if I would get a job in the close vicinity of my home, the cost of getting a teaching degree and what I would teach... maybe I need to research this a bit. Another idea I've toyed with for a while... actually since years is a business analyst. I find being a liason great. I prefer pouring through documents and understanding a business needs and then translating that to an IT person, more than actually being the IT person it's translated to. Maybe I need to research this too. Anyways theres no change for the immediate future... so I can play it by ear.

No comments:

Blog Archive