Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Mixed bag day:

It's an odd sort of day today. Yesterday I was on a high, but today... there's too much happening. It's like a beginning and an ending. The morning was hard. Very hard with both Rachael and Lawrence trying my patience. And one loud shout definitely helps. It got Rachael to stop whining and get onto the stool and brush her teeth. Must remember she's a 2 year old Must remember she's a 2 year old. Only I'm not sure what that entails anymore. Oh well I'll scar her for life. We all have our scars. It builds character .. atleast that's my view point now that I'm a mom. 30 years from today she'll be glad she got yelled at to brush her stinky mouth. Which really does smell by the way.
G's leaving today. It's his last day. And I'm unable to articulate just how much I will miss him. It's odd, he's been my boss only for 2 years, and yet he was almost a safety net. He was a great boss. It's a shame to lose him, and I wish the company could have realised just how much they lose not just in terms of wealth of knowledge, but in goodwill. People trusted him. He was always fair. I tried to tell him that I felt safe with him behind me knowing he would guard me against A's many mood swings. I hope he knows.
So it's got me thinking. Are we dispensible. I used to believe we are. But I think the reality is that while everyone and everything is dispensible the things we dispense off impact our lives. Very warped. But there's logic in there. I'll miss G. Whatever the company was thinking when they accepted his application for voluntary I'll never know. I summarize that with 22 years of service they saw the great savings that could be had with him gone. But what about all the wealth of knowledge and experience he takes with him. He was good. Really Really good. There seems to be the general consensus to get rid of the old and usher in the new. At one time, when I was much younger, just starting out I agreed with it. It gave me a newbie a chance to get into the working world. There was nothing I couldn't do in my head. Now with maybe about 14 years of work experience, I know there is so so so much more to learn. And yet we dispensed off with G. Will the company survive without him. Of course. Will there be any great impact by his leaving, No. Then what? It will be impacted I believe in the small ways, the unnoticeable ways, his experience may have changed a design, which may have lead to quicker results, which may have meant better descisions, which may have meant savings for the company. But in the larger scheme of things, no, his leaving doesn't affect the giant. The giant moves on.

No comments:

Blog Archive